Dr. Zieman specializes in legal cases involving families and children from infancy to high school. He has been appointed over 500 times by Family Court judges to serve as an evaluator, mediator, special master, or expert witness. Additionally, he has been recognized by the federal and state courts as an expert witness in numerous civil litigations involving children, families, and schools.
Beyond forensic psychology, Dr. Zieman’s career has involved other primary school and clinical psychology positions:
- For the U.S. Army, civilian counselor living on military bases in Germany to support families with a soldier parent having just returned from war zone deployment
- Designer and first clinical director of the Child and Adolescent Inpatient Treatment Center at Kaseman Presbyterian Hospital (Albuquerque)
- Leader of the Presbyterian Behavioral Health Emergency Response Team
- Live-in counselor inside residential facilities for juveniles sentenced by the Children’s Court to confined parole or prison
- Itinerant psychologist for four years to small towns and Indian reservations in northern and western New Mexico.
For his professional education, Dr. Zieman earned his M.S. in school psychology and Ph.D. in counseling psychology from Colorado State University. Final clinical training for his doctorate was completed in the children’s hospital of Tulsa, Oklahoma—Children’s Medical Center. In recent years, he has been very active in national seminars and conferences related to divorce and litigation involving families and children.
Dr. Zieman and his wife have lived in Albuquerque since the 1980s and their one daughter was educated at Colorado State University and the University of New Mexico.